Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my new OS install stuck?

To install my os on another mac, I entered Command-Option-R. I connected to the internet and selected Reinstall macOS, as suggested in the steps.

When I pressed continue as in step # 3, I got a window that says "Select the disk where you want to install macOS.

Problem: Only thing to select is the Back button. The install button is grayed out and there is no disc to select anywhere. What do I do?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 11:39 PM

Annamarie1 wrote:

To install my os on another mac, I entered Command-Option-R. I connected to the internet and selected Reinstall macOS, as suggested in the steps.

When I pressed continue as in step # 3, I got a window that says "Select the disk where you want to install macOS.

Problem: Only thing to select is the Back button. The install button is grayed out and there is no disc to select anywhere. What do I do?

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

About Startup Security Utility - Apple Support

DiskUtility>View>Show All Devices> it is here you want to select the parent drive if it becomes available.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 21, 2020 11:39 PM in response to Annamarie1

Annamarie1 wrote:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

About Startup Security Utility - Apple Support

DiskUtility>View>Show All Devices> it is here you want to select the parent drive if it becomes available.

Jun 21, 2020 10:52 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your effort, but I'm not connected to the other mac at all. I can't use it. It's totally wiped clean. That's why I'm trying to recover the OS. Nope, no Show all Disks or Show other Disks. That's the problem. There is nothing to select, so I'm stuck. (I was recently laid off from Airbnb and they let us keep our laptops, so naturally they wiped them clean. I'm just trying to make use of it.) I used the Option-Command-R command to get it started, but now stuck with nothing to select. Any other ideas appreciated.

Jun 22, 2020 6:48 AM in response to Annamarie1

Ok, you were in internet recovery on the other Mac, not on your working Mac?

If so, you need to use Disk utility to format the disk in the other Mac. You can do that from Internet Recovery.

If installing Catalina, format the disk with GUID Partition Map and APFS file system.

If Mojave or earlier, use Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

To get those Options, you need to "Show All Devices" from the View button in Disk Utility and select the drive device, not the volumes on the device.

The articles leroydouglas linked have those directions with pictures.

Is my new OS install stuck?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.