Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

short video height and audio waveform

Is it possible to get rid of the large blue area in the video, under the images?

Is it possible to make the audio waveform taller, shrinking the solid green area at the top? I tried dragging the line higher but it barely changes anything. The audio is loud regardless of the height of the waveform. The audio segments are commercially produced songs with normal volume capable of being played very loud.

I tried using the various appearance options under the little film icon (to change appearance) on the far right, but that seems to change the image inversely to the waveform, such that making one taller makes the other shorter, and vice versa.

Any ideas for removing the solid blue area and shrinking the height of the solid green area?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 21, 2020 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 1:07 AM

I am afraid you are asking for what we Portuguese call "sol na eira e chuva no nabal".

I can't translate this exactly, but it roughly means "have one's cake and eat it too".

You are asking for enlarging the video part of some thumbnails and the audio part on others.

I don't think this can be done currently.

12 replies

Jun 21, 2020 5:51 PM in response to Alchroma

I guess I was unclear. The following 6 screen shots show the effects of clicking on each icon from left to right. As you can see, except for the last one, those icons change the solid blue and solid green areas inversely. When I make the solid blue smaller (the images get bigger), the solid green gets bigger (the waveform gets smaller). And vice versa. Those icons do not let me make both the images and the waveform bigger (both the solid blue and the solid green smaller) -- which is what I want to do. In other words, I am looking for some way to adjust the height of the images and the height of the waveforms independently, so I can make them BOTH bigger AT THE SAME TIME. That is not possible with those icons, as you can see from the attached screenshots.

Jun 21, 2020 4:00 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I tried those controls and they don’t do what I want. The top slider zooms in and out, making the timeline more or less granular.

The icons below change the solid blue and green areas inversely. When the images fill the video storyline fully (ie no solid blue under the images), the audio waveform disappears and the audio storyline is 100% green. When the waveform is taller, the images in the video shrink and the solid blue area grows vertically.

And the bottom slider merely makes the audio and video taller or shorter, having no effect in the relative sizes of the solid blue and green areas.

I don’t know if this is relevant, but I cannot make the precision editor appear.

Jun 21, 2020 8:48 PM in response to Alchroma

Yes, I’ve reset preferences twice and it makes no difference. I still cannot increase both the video image height and the audio waveform height at the same time. This should be the easiest thing about the whole **** program!

BTW, when I Show Audio Lanes, this appears to split the audio storyline into an empty audio lane and another with the waveform. The empty lane seems useless. The other lane shows the waveform with an acceptable height.

It would probably do the trick if I could “remove the silent channel.” I see that discussed in Help under import preferences, but I’ll have to poke around to see if that can be done after importing.

short video height and audio waveform

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.