Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage

I have a 200g storage plan and it says it is almost full. It says I have 194 gb of photos but on my actual iPhone it says I have 139gb of photos. Why is this? Both the iCloud and iPhone have the same amount of photos as well. I feel like I am being scammed into buying more space.

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 9:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 9:25 AM

One possibility is that you have the Optimize Storage option turned on for photos on your iPhone. That allows some or all of the photos on your phone to be smaller space-saving versions if your phone is low on space while the original full-size versions are stored on iCloud. That is not an attempt to scam you, it is an attempt to make as much space as possible available on your phone. There is more information about that option in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2020 9:25 AM in response to Iphoneuser1a

One possibility is that you have the Optimize Storage option turned on for photos on your iPhone. That allows some or all of the photos on your phone to be smaller space-saving versions if your phone is low on space while the original full-size versions are stored on iCloud. That is not an attempt to scam you, it is an attempt to make as much space as possible available on your phone. There is more information about that option in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

iCloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.