Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar - muted until I tap the volume slider?

I've been encountering a behavior on my 2020 MacBook Pro with the Touch Bar. What I'm finding is that if I launch a page that has video, the video is muted. Sometimes the site does this and requires tapping on on-screen volume control. But in cases where the site doesn't automatically mute the audio, I find I have to tap the volume soft button on the Touch Bar and then tap the slider -- anywhere really -- to get audio. I've verified (several times) that the MacBook isn't muted in the first place -- I'll be listening to music, stop the music an open a web page with video, and find myself muted again.

I suspected at first this might be a side effect of installing Blackhole to capture audio from a web video - but even after completely uninstalling Blackhole the issue persists.

This appears to be entirely repeatable.

MacBook Pro 13”, 10.15

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 9:43 AM

Hi,

Resetting NVRAM could solve sound related issues.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

2 replies

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar - muted until I tap the volume slider?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.