Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone iMessage without a wireless plan

I've recently received numerous texts via a group chat that I never joined. I responded and people didnt know who I was. The person texting me said they were using iMessage. Is it possible that someone who had my number years ago and set up a Apple account with that number can still use it via Wi-Fi without a valid data plan?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 22, 2020 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 6:36 AM

Manzana1986 wrote:

hmmmm. my daughter has an iphone. i asked her to turn off wireless data and stay on wifi and text me. I got her texts on my LG. Isnt that coming from her iMessage "app"?

Those would be carrier SMS texts you are receiving on your Android device.

iPhones can send both iMessages and SMS texts via the Messages app.

Android devices can't receive Apple's Messages.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 6:36 AM in response to Manzana1986

Manzana1986 wrote:

hmmmm. my daughter has an iphone. i asked her to turn off wireless data and stay on wifi and text me. I got her texts on my LG. Isnt that coming from her iMessage "app"?

Those would be carrier SMS texts you are receiving on your Android device.

iPhones can send both iMessages and SMS texts via the Messages app.

Android devices can't receive Apple's Messages.

Jun 22, 2020 8:31 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

No. I don't have an iPhone. I'm saying that I am receiving texts in my android from what shows as my number either directly or via a group chat I didn't purposely join. That person said he was texting via iMessage. I've had a wireless plan with this number for 3 years. So only thing I can think of is that this person is texting using iMessage via Wi-Fi using his old number/apple id).

Or he is BSing me and spoofed my number

Can someone iMessage without a wireless plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.