Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wired Keyboard shuts off after login

There is an interesting quirk that I have encountered with multiple mac computers and multiple OSs for years now, after logging into a Mac after a reboot the wired keyboard shuts off and stops working? I logged in using it, so it worked up until then?

The only thing that seems to bring it back is to pull all the USB plugs out and plug them back in, in random ports until the keyboard (the only thing not working, everything else is) decides to turn back on.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 8:50 AM

Please reset the SMC several times with all external peripherals disconnected. If the problem persists, test to see if it's a peripheral causing the problem (it happens sometimes) and if all peripherals are okay then try another USB keyboard.

4 replies

Jun 23, 2020 11:26 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for the response, however this happened when I turned the iMac on after unplugging it during the previous night's thunderstorm to protect it from a potential power surge. (It was unplugged and off the whole night.) From my limited online research that should have reset the SMC correct?

If so, the SMC in theory was reset and the keyboard issue happened on the next two boot ups/logins.

Wired Keyboard shuts off after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.