Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot back up to Time Capsule

I have an Airport Time Capsule bridged to an Eero router that I have been using to back up my MacBook for years. This morning I got an error "The backup disk is not in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, which is required."

When I go to /Volumes and select Time Machine Backups, the format is specified as "Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)"

What's gone wrong?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 10:09 AM

Unfortunately, this type of message is often an indication that the hard drive on the Time Capsule is starting to fail. This would not be unusual on a Time Capsule that is 5+ years old.

If you have not already done so, power off the Time Capsule and leave it off for a few hours

Then, power the Time Capsule back up to see if things might have returned to normal, at least for now

The power down / power up process will start up an automatic......and not visible......diagnostic process that will attempt to repair any disk errors that are detected.

Post back on your results

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 10:09 AM in response to daveM20

Unfortunately, this type of message is often an indication that the hard drive on the Time Capsule is starting to fail. This would not be unusual on a Time Capsule that is 5+ years old.

If you have not already done so, power off the Time Capsule and leave it off for a few hours

Then, power the Time Capsule back up to see if things might have returned to normal, at least for now

The power down / power up process will start up an automatic......and not visible......diagnostic process that will attempt to repair any disk errors that are detected.

Post back on your results

Cannot back up to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.