Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine back up failure

After using two different time capsules to back up my three Macs, approximately one month ago, all backups are failing. The only change has been Mac OS updates. After the backup completes, I get the message that the backup failed verification and I need to create a new backup. All backups continue to fail on all three machines and both Time Capsules. I've erased them and started over, no change

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2020 9:13 AM

You will need to completely disable Norton or wait for an update from Symantec/Norton. Please contact Symantec for more details. They have known about this potential issue for a few months, but so far no "fix".

As far as I know, this issue affects back ups to a network drive, like a Time Capsule. Backups to an external drive connected directly to a Mac using USB, etc do not appear to be affected.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2020 9:13 AM in response to vincentfromatlanta

You will need to completely disable Norton or wait for an update from Symantec/Norton. Please contact Symantec for more details. They have known about this potential issue for a few months, but so far no "fix".

As far as I know, this issue affects back ups to a network drive, like a Time Capsule. Backups to an external drive connected directly to a Mac using USB, etc do not appear to be affected.

Aug 21, 2020 7:22 AM in response to vincentfromatlanta

Recent updates to Catalina have resulted in a multitude of Time Machine issues with users who are running anti-virus applications on their Macs.

So the first question to ask here would be........are you running any kind of anti-virus applications on your Macs.....or.....any other utilities that claim to "optimize", "speed up", "keep", "clean" etc. your Mac?

Even if you aren't, we are still seeing numerous posts from users on the support forums from users who are running Catalina on their Macs backing up to a Time Capsule. So, the next question would be are you trying to back up your Macs to a Time Capsule?

time machine back up failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.