Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Control Right/Left Arrow doesn't work in Mission Control (Catalina)

I'm trying to set up Mission Control for multiple desktops, a feature I just discovered and love, but I can't get the shortcut Control + right arrow or left arrow to move between desktops. I've tried lots of things but nothing seems to resolve the issue. At the moment, I've disabled "move left a space" and "move right a space" in keyboard preferences but that has had no impact.

The shortcuts "Switch to Desktop 1, 2, 3, etc. are supposed to work with Control +1, 2, 3, etc. are enabled, but they don't work either.

I've searched in vain for tutorials on how to enable Control + Right Arrow (Left Arrow). Any suggestions? Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 2:23 PM

Genius!

I booted in Safe Mode, created a couple of desktops, and Control Right/Left worked perfectly. Rebooted in my normal way, and the problem is GONE!

I can't thank you enough, although I have no idea why this fixed it. (Above my pay grade, I think). Thanks again!!!

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 23, 2020 11:41 AM in response to Digital Gee

At the moment, I've disabled "move left a space" and "move right a space" in keyboard preferences but that has had no impact.

Why would you do that? That is the shortcut you are trying to use.

If turning the shortcut back on doesn't work, try setting your keyboard shortcuts back to defaults and see what happens.

You are using the control key and not the command key, correct?

Jun 23, 2020 12:04 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you so much for responding so quickly!

I reverted to defaults, with no success. So, I've changed the keyboard shortcuts for "move left a space" to control left arrow and "move right a space" to control right arrow (and reenabled them, of course). Again, it's not doing anything. I made sure I'm pressing "control" and not option or command. But it still doesn't want to cooperate!

Jun 23, 2020 12:12 PM in response to Digital Gee

Have you installed anything that can affect the keyboard layout like Karabiner?

1) Try booting into Safe Mode and see if it works.

2) Then, restart normally and try in another user account (even Guest).

1) will determine if some startup item is interfering and 2) will determine if it is system-wide or confined to your account. That will give us somewhere to start looking.

Control Right/Left Arrow doesn't work in Mission Control (Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.