Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I invoke Mission Control from keyboard while dragging a window?

Normally, while I am dragging a window, I can invoke Mission Control from the dedicated keyboard shortcut and drop the window into a different space. On one of my Macs I'm not able to do this. I first have to release the window I'm dragging, then invoke mission control, then click+drag the window to the desired space.

I have two Mac mini's both setup from scratch with magic keyboards. On one of them this works as expected (as it does on my MacBook too) and on the other it doesn't. What gives?

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2021 8:17 AM

kinioshi wrote:

Normally, while I am dragging a window, I can invoke Mission Control from the dedicated keyboard shortcut and drop the window into a different space. On one of my Macs I'm not able to do this. I first have to release the window I'm dragging, then invoke mission control, then click+drag the window to the desired space.

I have two Mac mini's both setup from scratch with magic keyboards. On one of them this works as expected (as it does on my MacBook too) and on the other it doesn't. What gives?

Good question—

I would concentrate on the troubled Mac. ..Verify your macOS is up to date the current is macOS 11.5.1

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2021 8:17 AM in response to kinioshi

kinioshi wrote:

Good question—

I would concentrate on the troubled Mac. ..Verify your macOS is up to date the current is macOS 11.5.1

Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

Why can't I invoke Mission Control from keyboard while dragging a window?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.