Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K: HDCP error

For years I have used my Apple TV through my Denon AVR-1913 receiver to watch Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Video, etc. on a Samsung TV with no issues. However suddenly I have a HDCP error on video playback only—meaning all the app interfaces within the Apple TV OS display properly until I try to play video content and the screen goes black and I get HDCP errors.

Audio apps like Spotify and Pandora display album artwork and stream audio with no issues. AirPlay from any of my other devices work properly with no issues. I only get the HDCP error when I try to play video content from the Apple TV device itself. I have tested/replaced all HDMI cables and reset the Apple TV to factory settings and reinstalled everything.

Anyone have an idea of how to fix this issue? At my wit's end.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 13

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 5:51 PM

That shouldn’t happen, so it is very unfortunately when it ruins your viewing pleasure.

HDCP errors can only happen somewhere in the HDMI chain. HDCP errors affect protected video but not audio. So please perform these tests to find out exactly where in the chain.

• Connect the Apple TV to a different TV, directly without a receiver. Does the error still happen?
  • Connect the Apple TV to your regular TV without the receiver. Does the error still happen?
  • Connect a different HDMI device to the port that the Apple TV was using previously on the receiver. Does the error still happen?
  • Verify if you also tested/replaced the HDMI cable between the receiver and the screen.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 5:51 PM in response to to3moss

That shouldn’t happen, so it is very unfortunately when it ruins your viewing pleasure.

HDCP errors can only happen somewhere in the HDMI chain. HDCP errors affect protected video but not audio. So please perform these tests to find out exactly where in the chain.

• Connect the Apple TV to a different TV, directly without a receiver. Does the error still happen?
  • Connect the Apple TV to your regular TV without the receiver. Does the error still happen?
  • Connect a different HDMI device to the port that the Apple TV was using previously on the receiver. Does the error still happen?
  • Verify if you also tested/replaced the HDMI cable between the receiver and the screen.

Jul 6, 2020 7:21 AM in response to to3moss

Following up here so others can maybe benefit: a $15 HDMI splitter solved the problem. There is no good reason IMO why this should be necessary after years of zero issues with existing hardware/software. But nonetheless it is resolved without the need for replacing receivers or cables.

And thanks for providing a checklist, helped me to isolate/verify the problem!

Jun 24, 2020 8:52 AM in response to Urquhart1244

No errors when bypassing receiver.

No errors when bypassing receiver.

No other devices, but tried different receiver ports with same errors.

New cables did not fix the problem.

Further research indicates this happens often—and out of the blue—with multiple Denon receivers and perhaps others. In my case, I have had my Denon for nearly 8 years with no issues but it is clearly the culprit. Based on what I read, inexpensive HDMI splitters can solve the problem so have ordered one to test. Needless to say I will be looking for a different receiver brand when I get around to upgrading.

Apple TV 4K: HDCP error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.