Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email address linked to Apple ID is inaccessible

When my Apple ID and passwords were set up, years ago, an email acct was used that is no longer accessible. I can not verify my email address. Soooo, I changed my Apple ID and password, but the old email address still shows up as my email used. Therefore I can not authenticate my email acct, or access any apps etc. help please!!!

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 5:18 PM

Did you do a name change using the steps in the article below? Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support    I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

If you made a new Apple ID, you lost access to the purchases made by the old ID, and you will need to delete the prior purchases and download them using the new ID.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 5:18 PM in response to Meganlynngaipa85

Did you do a name change using the steps in the article below? Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.        

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support    I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

If you made a new Apple ID, you lost access to the purchases made by the old ID, and you will need to delete the prior purchases and download them using the new ID.

Jun 24, 2020 4:24 AM in response to Meganlynngaipa85

This may be your problem. See What to do when the Mac App Store shows a different Apple ID for software updates https://www.macworld.com/article/3267709/mac-app-store-apple-id.html. This document refers to a prior owner, but is also applies to cases where a current owner's old Apple ID is the problem.

Basically, If an app is purchased/downloaded using one Apple ID, then you can't update it with another Apple ID. The app is inextricably linked to the first Apple ID. You'll have to delete it and repurchase/download it again with the second Apple ID. 

Email address linked to Apple ID is inaccessible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.