Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad and MacBook compatibility

I am looking into getting a new computer for school. I want to know if I open the same document on an ipad and in the MacBook Air, if I can edit them on both devices at the same time. For example making written notes on a PowerPoint in the IPad and typing notes on the same PowerPoint going back and forth. I want to know if they will update the document in close to real time and if I can use both to edit the document at the same time.

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 6:21 PM

You mentioned PowerPoint and that tells me that you work in the MS Office environment. Note that MS Office products are not capable of working with the MacOS and iPadOS Handoff feature. The only you can accomplish what you want is using iCloud Drive as the common medium however you would have to save the file on one device and then open it back up on the other. But, this is not what you wanted. What you want is being able to work on a MS Office document simultaneously on your MacBook Air and on your iPad.

You can easily do this by using OneDrive and Office 365. Once activated then you can use all MS Office document products at the same time and by multiple users as well.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2020 6:21 PM in response to CourtneyW1997

You mentioned PowerPoint and that tells me that you work in the MS Office environment. Note that MS Office products are not capable of working with the MacOS and iPadOS Handoff feature. The only you can accomplish what you want is using iCloud Drive as the common medium however you would have to save the file on one device and then open it back up on the other. But, this is not what you wanted. What you want is being able to work on a MS Office document simultaneously on your MacBook Air and on your iPad.

You can easily do this by using OneDrive and Office 365. Once activated then you can use all MS Office document products at the same time and by multiple users as well.

Axel F.

iPad and MacBook compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.