Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to move my photos, videos to external hard drive from iPhone 7+, getting a new phone

1. Is it not possible to have a backup to the mac AND being connected to iCloud AND transfer my iPhone photos and videos to external hard drive?
  2. If #1 not possible, is it possible to disconnect photos and videos from iCloud so that I can transfer those photos to external hard drive? Would this be a good idea or should I stick with the iCloud?

I have done a full back up on my mac computer and did not realize that doing so would prohibit me from transferring photos and videos to external hard drive.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302 says: "First, decide where you want to keep your collection of photos and videos. You can make them available on all your devices with iCloud Photos. Or you can choose to store them locally only on your Mac or PC."

This makes it sound like it is one or the other

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 7:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2020 7:30 PM

save all those photos to files, make a folder for them, compress that folder, send to your app of choice (google drive, one drive, dropbox etc) then go to your computer and log in to the service you chose and plug usb drive and download to computer, once done drag and drop to the usb folder

Similar questions

1 reply

I want to move my photos, videos to external hard drive from iPhone 7+, getting a new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.