How do I copy my iphone photos to an external hard drive? Not backup my entire iphone

I have my iphone regularly backed up to icloud, but I am hoping to copy all of my photos and videos to an external hard drive so I can then delete a lot of the photos off my iphone.

How or what is the easiest way to do this? I don't want to back up my iphone entirely, but just copy/transfer the pictures/videos.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2023 10:39 PM

If you have Windows PC. Microsoft support says --> Import photos and videos from an iPhone to PC

To import to your Mac:

1. Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac with a USB cable.
  2. Open the Photos app on your computer.
  3. The Photos app shows an Import screen with all the photos and videos that are on your connected device. ... 
  4. If asked, unlock your iOS or iPadOS device using your passcode.

More items...

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your ...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2023 10:39 PM in response to marissakahla

If you have Windows PC. Microsoft support says --> Import photos and videos from an iPhone to PC

To import to your Mac:

1. Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac with a USB cable.
  2. Open the Photos app on your computer.
  3. The Photos app shows an Import screen with all the photos and videos that are on your connected device. ... 
  4. If asked, unlock your iOS or iPadOS device using your passcode.

More items...

Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone or iPad to your ...

Jul 3, 2023 11:49 PM in response to marissakahla

How do I copy my iphone photos to an external hard drive? Not backup my entire iphone

———-

One unique method…

Download All of iCloud, then Search:

Go here, and see what is shown: icloud.com/iclouddrive. You have 5GB of space for free, given your location. So, download all of iCloud. Once dowloaded, search for certain filetypes (ie jpg and gif) through use of a new Finder window on your Mac. Type the file type extensions in the Search Bar on the top-right corner of the Finder window. Next, create a folder of the Desk top. Then, drag-&drop these files to the folder. Next, trash what is in the external drive, and then drag-&-drop this folder into the hard drive. Find ally, trash this folder from your Desktop. You’re set from there with a clean iCloud storage. Use my user tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.