Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to set up icould drive?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Apple really need to have a look at the way iCloud Drive is set up, and also perhaps, what it is called.

To start with, I searched for info on this website for "how to set up iCloud Drive" and get loads of hits on "iCloud" but not "iCloud Drive". But there are lots of help files all over the web entitled "Whats the difference between iCloud and iCloud Drive?". It would help solve all this confusion if Apple gave it a less confusing name! Even the iCloud sub-window entitled iCloud Drive has a line at the top saying "Apps that store documents and data in iCloud will appear here". ...? Do they mean iCloud Drive?

Now my further confusion;

When you start a new user account, the set up process leads you towards using iCould Drive, and if you delve deep you find that Desktop and Documents folders will be turned on. And it immediately starts uploading all your files and removing them from your hard drive. My Documents folder contains over 70GB of work, so even if I pay to max out my iCloud Drive to its 50GB capacity it still won't hold all my stuff. And actually, I don't want to pay for storage... 5GB is free and that's more than enough for my calendars, notes and contacts. (or is that iCloud?)

So now I have that whole thing of having to re-download my own files.. Oh and if I just turn off iCould Drive, the files have disappeared from my hard drive.

Did somebody think this through?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 6:48 AM

If you want the files to remain on your computer, in System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina)/iCloud Drive/Options, turn off Optimization.

See if anything here helps.

iCloud Drive and iWork

iCloud Drive FAQ

iCloud Drive  - How to Share Files.   

iCloud Drive  - How to Share Folders

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

iCloud Feedback

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 6:48 AM in response to Paul Richards4

If you want the files to remain on your computer, in System Preferences/iCloud (Apple ID for Catalina)/iCloud Drive/Options, turn off Optimization.

See if anything here helps.

iCloud Drive and iWork

iCloud Drive FAQ

iCloud Drive  - How to Share Files.   

iCloud Drive  - How to Share Folders

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

iCloud Feedback

how to set up icould drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.