Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you stop using iCloud?

It seems Apple is funneling us into needing iCloud because there doesn't seem to be a way to extricate myself from it once it has my files in its tentacles. There are all sorts of pathways to UPGRADING and using more, but simply getting my files out of iCloud and back onto my hard drive seems impossible. I have plenty of storage on my mac. Yet, if I try to drag my documents folder from iCloud over to my mac, the spinning ball of death prevents any progress. If I go to settings and deselect Documents and Desktop in iCloud, it states simply that the files will be removed from my computer and STAY IN iCLOUD!! This is ridiculous. Thank you, big tech, for making it so easy to pay for unnecessary services and making it so hard to UNSUBSCRIBE. Apple has become a spam bot of the worst kind. First it was iTunes, now this.... I search the knowledge base, but nobody else seems to be getting an answer either.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2022 10:42 AM

See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Note that the first two sections are about turning off only the Desktop and Documents option of iCloud Drive while the last section is about completely turning off iCloud Drive

Turn off Desktop and Documents

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

What happens when you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. You also have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. If you keep a local copy of your files in iCloud Drive, they're copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. You can move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents to your new local Desktop and Documents.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2022 10:42 AM in response to synt

See the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Note that the first two sections are about turning off only the Desktop and Documents option of iCloud Drive while the last section is about completely turning off iCloud Drive

Turn off Desktop and Documents

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  3. Deselect Desktop & Documents Folders.
  4. Click Done.

What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them.

What happens when you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud

If you turn off iCloud Drive or sign out of iCloud, a new Desktop and Documents folder is created in your home folder. You also have the option to keep a local copy of your files that are in iCloud Drive. If you keep a local copy of your files in iCloud Drive, they're copied to a folder called iCloud Drive (Archive) in your home folder. You can move any files that were in your iCloud Desktop and Documents to your new local Desktop and Documents.

Jun 4, 2022 1:40 PM in response to FoxFifth

I've tried this twice. The first time, all the files disappeared and didn't show up in the home documents folder. The second time, half the files disappeared and an error appeared saying the "Library folder can't be moved because it's hidden." The home documents folder is still empty. Where are my files?

Jun 4, 2022 1:49 PM in response to synt

Okay, I went to Edit > Undo and *I hope* all the files went back to iCloud. Thank you FoxFifth. I excluded the Library folder (hope I don't need it) and tried again. It appears to have worked. If someone from Apple is reading this, please notice how the arcane instructions of how to do this are located on a help article page with the title "Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive". Please show your customers some respect and make it easy to also opt out of your services. It shouldn't have to be this hard.

How do you stop using iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.