Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does one control icloud?

I have managed to yank a lot of worthless garbage out of iCloud, meanwhile losing my desktop, my applications, and iTunes files (to iCloud), and the Desktop/Documents pair keep coming back, and slowly filling up with random files from...my desktop and my documents. Even though I specifically removed them from iCloud.com. So even though I got the Worthless Junk down to about .5% of my iCloud drive, and even though I now know to check the contents of the drive regularly, why do I have to? The desktop and Documents files keep coming back, and the space gets slowly eaten up, whether I want it to or not. How do I actually control this beast, or is that not possible? Do I just have to tear it out, root and branch? How would I go about that?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2019 12:06 PM

Open iCloud preferences. Select iCloud Drive and click on the Options... button. Deselect those items you do not want including Documents and Desktop. If desired you can return to the first part and uncheck the iCloud Drive option.

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 28, 2019 3:33 AM in response to Kappy

AT one point, earlier in the process, that might have worked. Not any more. I've gone through that sequence of maneuvers over and over and over, but the problem won't go away. I can uncheck or deselect all the items and options I want, restart, and when I open iCloud again, they are all back on and collecting my files for destruction.

Apr 28, 2019 12:46 PM in response to Birck Cox

It sounds like you have multiple processes still going on.

As much as you may not want to hear this, I suggest your best option here is to leave it alone until these multiple processes complete. That may take a few hours or more.

gone through that sequence of maneuvers over and over and over, but the problem won't go away. I can uncheck or deselect all the items and options I want, restart, and when I open iCloud again, they are all back on and collecting my files for destruction.

Syncing to iCloud means there are many data integrity checks ongoing throughout the upload/download process.

Interrupting these processes may mean these checks must start and restart.

Apr 28, 2019 2:18 PM in response to LACAllen

I think you are right. I've been struggling with this mess for close to 3 weeks, and no part of iCloud functions the way the rest of Apple's offerings do. I also know, from experience, that removing files from the app definitely does NOT happen at will. It can take one or two days of hands-off for file-deletion requests to take effect. I've watched it happen. From a distance. So I will take your advice, knowing that in about two weeks my iCloud account will stop on its own, and I can either start it again, like a clean install, or live without it. Thanks.

Apr 28, 2019 2:29 PM in response to Birck Cox

The reality is, there are rumoured to be a billion iCloud accounts. Despite your current experience, it is a stable service once understood and used as designed. Even if 10,000 users have issues, it is a very small percentage of the installed base. Small comfort I know, but that is the truth.

Most posts here are about users thinking it is Apple's Dropbox service. It isn't.

I see many posts here where time heals all.

Apr 28, 2019 2:50 PM in response to LACAllen

Thanks for the reply. I believe you. What distinguishes iCloud, IMHO, is the inadequacy of documentation, regarding both how it will function when the user enables it, and what to expect when trying to DIS-enable it. When I ask questions like the one I asked to start this thread, the first replies are usually happy-talk, straight out of the user's manual. When I took the growing problem to AppleCare and the Apple store nearest to me, I got a more realistic appraisal. It was a mess, and I will be the first to admit that the mess was my doing, but I had no way of knowing in advance what was going to happen, because the information is not there. In brief: starting from the 5GB base config, I thought it sounded like a good idea, so I bumped it up to 2TB. But my finances changed radically not long after that, so I opted to drop the storage down to 50GB, without researching the likely consequences. Nothing went right, of course. And it continued to not go right for the next two weeks or so. I started talking to AppleCare after a week of that, and slowly began to get the idea how iCloud works. It's still mysterious, but I have succeeded at some of my attempts to control it. At least now I have it in hand well enough to simply wait for it to die in mid-May, when April's .99 cents runs out, then decide what to do about it.

Apr 28, 2019 3:11 PM in response to Birck Cox

Ok. I will disagree it is difficult to control.

It is designed to be invisible once configured. No control is required.

Ensure you have enough storage space, enable it and let it do what it does. This does not require much documentation.

Probably 95% of the issues brought here are when users, through naivete or otherwise, grow impatient and, believing nothing is happening, start toggling it off and on, expecting an immediate response.

The main misconception is that iCloud is a place to "move" your content to, freeing up space on your iOS/macOs device. With one small exception in macOS, this is not a design feature of iCloud. In macOS, when you select optimization, "some" files will be moved to iCloud when macOS decides you need that. It is not controllable by when or which content will be moved.

Tell Apple how you feel about their documentation.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://apple.com/feedback

Apr 28, 2019 6:54 PM in response to LACAllen

Clearly we don't agree on much about icloud. I will agree that impatience with its inability to turn on a dime is unwise, but I've been working with it long enough to know that it IS possible for the user to move selected files into iCloud drive-perhaps that's the "one small exception". Saying "no control is required", however, is not the same as saying "No control is possible", and the latter statement is the more accurate. In my case, I wanted to reduce my storage space to 50GB from 2TB, and even though I hadn't consciously requested that my entire boot drive be taken over by iCloud, that's what had happened, and the sudden reduction effectively wiped out the computer. I'm sure there's a way to make that change in storage without a negative result, but I have been unable to find it in Apple's documentation. Recovery took quite a while.

How does one control icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.