Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina installation stuck

Hi, just upgraded my macbook pro 2012 to SSD. However i cant seem to install catalina. I am using a bootable installer that i made with previous hard drive.

The installer has been stuck on this page for forever. I have tried keeping it overnight however no luck.

i tried the internet recovery way and as i finished the installation it restarts and shows flashing folder with question mark.

please helpp!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 1:58 PM

nabin64 wrote:

Hi, just upgraded my macbook pro 2012 to SSD. However i cant seem to install catalina. I am using a bootable installer that i made with previous hard drive.
The installer has been stuck on this page for forever. I have tried keeping it overnight however no luck.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/d1b78344-a525-47fc-a3fd-e6f31229f35c

i tried the internet recovery way and as i finished the installation it restarts and shows flashing folder with question mark.
please helpp!!

—Have you formatted the new SSD ? All new drives need formatting. (this can be done from the bootable installer >DiskUtility.app)

—Did you replace the SATA cable at the same time— a known point of failure.

You can force quit if necessity holding the power button for ~6-10 sec.

Reboot holding the Option Key and select your macOS to boot, if you had a functional macOS already installed.

Try again.

If you still have an issue run the Disk First Aid on your Macintosh HD from Recovery

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD. If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

reboot as normal.

As a side note— I would encourage you not rename the Macintosh HD default name to keep the confusion down.

There is no advantage here.

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2020 1:58 PM in response to nabin64

nabin64 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/d1b78344-a525-47fc-a3fd-e6f31229f35c

please helpp!!

—Have you formatted the new SSD ? All new drives need formatting. (this can be done from the bootable installer >DiskUtility.app)

—Did you replace the SATA cable at the same time— a known point of failure.

You can force quit if necessity holding the power button for ~6-10 sec.

Reboot holding the Option Key and select your macOS to boot, if you had a functional macOS already installed.

Try again.

If you still have an issue run the Disk First Aid on your Macintosh HD from Recovery

Boot into Recovery (Command R) and from the dropdown menu: Utilities>  Disk Utility> run the First Aid on your Macintosh HD. If errors are found and repaired, run again until no errors reported.

Recovery: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

reboot as normal.

As a side note— I would encourage you not rename the Macintosh HD default name to keep the confusion down.

There is no advantage here.

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

Jun 28, 2020 1:21 PM in response to nabin64

Hello nabin64,

It looks like no one has responded to your question. Here are a couple things that might help others answer your question:

• How long has the install been stuck at this point?
  • Did you have your SSD installed at an Apple Authorized Service Provider?
  • Did your SSD have macOS installed on it before trying to install macOS Catalina?

Best Regards.

Catalina installation stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.