Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the current Apple magic keyboard connect to Mac over USB (not bluetooth!).

I've had tons of connectivity issues with Bluetooth-only Apple keyboards

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 10:28 AM

If you mean this one: Buy Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad for Mac in Silver - Apple

or this one: Magic Keyboard - US English - Apple

Yes they can be connected using the Lightning to USB cable they come packaged with.

If you mean this one: Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11‑inch (2nd generation) - US English - Apple

, then no, this is only for iPads, and is not even a bluetooth keyboard. It connects magnetically to the iPad.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 10:28 AM in response to real-kloomnik

If you mean this one: Buy Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad for Mac in Silver - Apple

or this one: Magic Keyboard - US English - Apple

Yes they can be connected using the Lightning to USB cable they come packaged with.

If you mean this one: Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11‑inch (2nd generation) - US English - Apple

, then no, this is only for iPads, and is not even a bluetooth keyboard. It connects magnetically to the iPad.

Jun 24, 2020 10:36 AM in response to Phil0124

Many thanks for the ultra-fast response.

I meant the keyboard(s) that connect to a Mac (the first two in your answer).

I saw that they come with a cable, but I wanted to make sure that the cable isn't for charging only.

My current Apple Bluetooth-only keyboard is anything but magical: It connects and disconnects continuously, and none of the advice I saw helps.

Can the current Apple magic keyboard connect to Mac over USB (not bluetooth!).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.