Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 5 doesn't count the time of exercise right

I've bought an Apple Watch 5 for my wife about 2 weeks ago. Couple days ago she started to mention, that her trainings doesnt count right. For example, today she did Walking for 60 minutes. It counted everything right (calories etc.), but as an exercise it counted only 19 minutes. I insert images. They are in Russian, but i think you can get the main idea.

Why and how to fix it? Thank you.

Apple Watch

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 1:40 PM

In order for Outside Walk to count as 'exercise', you need to maintain a pace of about 18.5 minutes per mile (or 5.25km/h) or better.

The screenshot indicates she averaged about 3.75km/h, so it wasn't enough.

It's likely that some of the time she was walking fast enough, which is why she got some credit, but at other times she was too slow. For example, if she's out for a leisurely stroll, talking to neighbors, or is walking the dog who frequently stops to pee, sniff the ground, etc. then she might not maintain that pace and the watch will not count it as 'exercise'.

She will get her step count, but needs to pick up the pace to have it count as exercise.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2020 1:40 PM in response to Wolmoran

In order for Outside Walk to count as 'exercise', you need to maintain a pace of about 18.5 minutes per mile (or 5.25km/h) or better.

The screenshot indicates she averaged about 3.75km/h, so it wasn't enough.

It's likely that some of the time she was walking fast enough, which is why she got some credit, but at other times she was too slow. For example, if she's out for a leisurely stroll, talking to neighbors, or is walking the dog who frequently stops to pee, sniff the ground, etc. then she might not maintain that pace and the watch will not count it as 'exercise'.

She will get her step count, but needs to pick up the pace to have it count as exercise.

Jun 25, 2020 4:16 PM in response to Wolmoran

To earn 1 minute of exercise credit(green ring);

Travel a full minute at a brisk walking pace(3.3 mph approx) or above.

Raise your heart rate to approx 75% of your maximum.

When you're at around or above this heart rate for the entire minute you'll receive 1 exercise minute credit.

If you pause or slow down then you won't get any exercise credit.

Apple Watch 5 doesn't count the time of exercise right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.