Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why don’t my Apple Watch show the correct amount of exercise. I walked for 17 minutes today but it only ds Howard 8 minutes of exercise

my watch doesn’t show the correct amount of exercise I walked for 17 minutes but it only showed 8

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 7

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 3:10 PM

The Apple Watch will record exercise once the heart rate gets up to a certain rate.

For example, if I go for a walk and go slower than 3 mph (20 minutes per mile), I’ll get no exercise minutes.

If I go faster then 18 minutes per mile, it will count - in between is kind of a crapshoot.

So next time you walk - try picking up the pace a bit and monitor the exercise minutes. The faster you walk, the greater the chance that it will be counted as an exercise minute. A little trial and error should help you figure it out.

As you get more fit you’ll need to walk a bit faster to get the heart rate up.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 3:10 PM in response to Lhowle

The Apple Watch will record exercise once the heart rate gets up to a certain rate.

For example, if I go for a walk and go slower than 3 mph (20 minutes per mile), I’ll get no exercise minutes.

If I go faster then 18 minutes per mile, it will count - in between is kind of a crapshoot.

So next time you walk - try picking up the pace a bit and monitor the exercise minutes. The faster you walk, the greater the chance that it will be counted as an exercise minute. A little trial and error should help you figure it out.

As you get more fit you’ll need to walk a bit faster to get the heart rate up.

Jan 1, 2021 4:18 PM in response to Lhowle

To earn 1 minute of exercise credit(green ring);

Travel a full minute at a brisk walking pace 3.3 mph or 18 minutes per mile approx.

or

5.3kph or 11.3 minutes per kilometer.

Raise your heart rate to approx 75% of your maximum.

When you're at around or above this heart rate and speed for the entire minute you'll receive 1 exercise minute credit.

If you pause or slow down during this minute then you won't get any exercise credit for that minute.

Source;phone call I had with apple support.

Jan 3, 2021 9:52 AM in response to t.moe

The heart rate that counts as exercise may be a function of your age. You could try changing your DOB so that you show as much older and see if that makes a difference. It would be helpful if you could manually set a number of such parameters, but the Millennials calling the shots a Apple don't think you can be trusted.

Why don’t my Apple Watch show the correct amount of exercise. I walked for 17 minutes today but it only ds Howard 8 minutes of exercise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.