Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrated Photo Library

I keep getting a message that my disc is nearly full. In reviewing my files I find a "Migrated Photo Library" that is about 73 gb my photos are stored in the cloud. Should I be able to delete that file or will it delete my photos from the could? Thank you for any help on this subject.

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2020 5:00 PM

Hi Michael. Thank you for your response. I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge sooner, I had not seen your response. I'm a first time user of this feature and wasn't aware there was an answer to my question. I do have Optimize Mac Storage as my selection. I think what happened was I had been traveling and I didn't realize one of the hotels I was staying at had really slow internet so when I downloaded a bunch of pictures from my cameras to my computer, they were not going to the cloud so my disc really was out of space. It took about a week after I came home before everything got on the cloud and things were sort of normal.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2020 5:00 PM in response to MichaelB2019

Hi Michael. Thank you for your response. I'm sorry I didn't acknowledge sooner, I had not seen your response. I'm a first time user of this feature and wasn't aware there was an answer to my question. I do have Optimize Mac Storage as my selection. I think what happened was I had been traveling and I didn't realize one of the hotels I was staying at had really slow internet so when I downloaded a bunch of pictures from my cameras to my computer, they were not going to the cloud so my disc really was out of space. It took about a week after I came home before everything got on the cloud and things were sort of normal.

Jun 30, 2020 8:45 AM in response to elsaliz

Hi elsaliz,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help with storage space and Photos on your Mac.

It sounds like you are using iCloud Photos and if you do delete a photo, then that photo will be deleted everywhere you use iCloud Photos. Please see: Set up and use iCloud Photos

But it sounds like you may have the option to Download Originals to this Mac enabled, which would download the full sized photos to your computer for storage. You can save space by choosing Optimize Mac Storage in your iCloud Preferences as outlined here:

Change preferences in Photos on Mac

If you need to free up storage on your Mac, this article can help: How to free up storage space on your Mac.

Have a fantastic day!

Migrated Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.