Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete the iPhotos migrated library after it has been converted to a Photos library?

I am trying to clean up my computer's storage, and see that the largest single file is a "migrated photo library". When I try to open the file, it indicates that the file has been converted to a Photos library and I can view my photos there. Moreover, I also have my files saved automatically to iCloud to make sure I have back ups. Can i delete the iPhotos migrated library to save space? Will it delete the photos in my iCloud?

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 4:33 PM

Also bear in mind:

iCloud is not a backup

The problem with iCloud for photos (and files if you use iCloud drive) is it makes all the libraries across all the devices the same. While it does protect you from a drive failure - it doesn't protect you from accidental deletion. If you delete photos on your phone, they are deleted on your mac, and from iCloud - same if you delete on your mac - they'll be deleted on your phone. There have been rare cases of system failure also causing deletions (or just user error). There are also numerous examples of library corruption making it very difficult to access photos.

Every few days we get someone here saying "I deleted photos - how can I get them back". If it was more than 30 days ago (or they’ve been manually removed from recently deleted), and there is no other backup, the answer is "you can't"

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2021 4:33 PM in response to eacopic

Also bear in mind:

iCloud is not a backup

The problem with iCloud for photos (and files if you use iCloud drive) is it makes all the libraries across all the devices the same. While it does protect you from a drive failure - it doesn't protect you from accidental deletion. If you delete photos on your phone, they are deleted on your mac, and from iCloud - same if you delete on your mac - they'll be deleted on your phone. There have been rare cases of system failure also causing deletions (or just user error). There are also numerous examples of library corruption making it very difficult to access photos.

Every few days we get someone here saying "I deleted photos - how can I get them back". If it was more than 30 days ago (or they’ve been manually removed from recently deleted), and there is no other backup, the answer is "you can't"

Dec 29, 2021 4:32 PM in response to eacopic

Hi

Yes you can delete it if you are sure everything you need is in your photos library (some older items might not migrate if they are no longer compatible). However, you won't get the space back that you expect, since the original photo files are not duplicated but shared with the photos library - so you'll only recover space taken by preview files and the database. Maybe 10% of the space shown as being used.

Can I delete the iPhotos migrated library after it has been converted to a Photos library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.