Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Once photos have been migrated to iPhoto, is it save to delete the migrated folder?

I'm finding the need to delete old files and I see under storage a huge old iPhoto Library file that cannot be opened as it says "The content of the iPhoto library “iPhoto Library” has already been migrated to Photos.  Open Photos to view your library or use a compatible version of iPhoto to open this iPhoto library."

Is it safe to assume these migrate photos are duplicated and I can delete this old file? Or do I need to keep the migrated "iPhoto Library" folder?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 10:15 AM

If you're satisfied and the new Photos library has all of your photos from your iPhoto library you can delete the iPhoto library. Many users store the old library for a couple of months on an external HD just in case they find something that didn't come over correctly. It's whatever you feel most comfortable with.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 10:15 AM in response to TheSicKesT21

If you're satisfied and the new Photos library has all of your photos from your iPhoto library you can delete the iPhoto library. Many users store the old library for a couple of months on an external HD just in case they find something that didn't come over correctly. It's whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Sep 7, 2020 10:22 AM in response to TheSicKesT21

I would keep the iPhoto Library, if you have no other backup of your original image files, It is much easier to recover the originals from an iPhoto Library than from a Photos Library, once you upgrade to Catalina. If you are already running Catalina, take some precautions to allow you to access your photos, if the Photos.app should stop working on your Mac because of some system trouble or a damaged photo library.

Once photos have been migrated to iPhoto, is it save to delete the migrated folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.