Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pics migrated to Photos library - can I delete the Photo Library file in my Documents?

I have a 21GB file named "Photo Library", under Documents - which I can't open as it says that the pics have been migrated to my Photos library. Does that mean I can delete the file *without losing any photos from the Photos library"?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2020 10:04 AM

Yes, if you're confident that your working Photos library has all of your photos.

3 replies

Jul 29, 2020 10:58 AM in response to JudyRreyes

I would keep a backup copy of the migrated library on an external volume, just in case you should later notice problems in the new Photos library. The problem is, that Photos for Mac does not support all older image and video formats, that we could use in iPhoto, and you may need to convert some older items to a new format. You can open this library again, if you change the filename extension from ".migratedphotolibrary" back to ".photolibrary". The originals in your old iPhoto Library and the new Photos Library are indeed linked are sharing the storage by hard links, so you will not free much storage by deleting the iPhoto Library, but both libraries can work, if the other is deleted. Hard links are smart and are keeping track of the number of references.

Pics migrated to Photos library - can I delete the Photo Library file in my Documents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.