Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleted notes

I was transferring files to an external hard drive and I did all of my notes by dragging and dropping. Everything was fine but I was trying to clean the mac hard drive when I put the files on the external drive and I highlighted all of the notes in the mac's drive and press delete not knowing that it would clear the notes on the external hd. I have search the net and no luck. Most of what they say I cannot find and there's no 'erase trash' or in recently deleted there is nothing. Are these notes lost forever? I am using MacOS Mojave version 10.14.16. TIA

Posted on Jun 25, 2020 10:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 9:48 PM

karlene271 Said:

"deleted notes:[...] Can someone please help me? Is there a way to restore my notes or is it forever gone"

-------

A Few Thoughts Recover These:

• Log in: to iCloud, and enable Notes. Go to: System Preferences > iCloud > Enable: Notes

• Check: other devices associated to your account.

• Restore: through a Time Machine Backup. First, create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac. Then, restore your Mac from a prior Time Machine Backup. Then export them to iCloud. Once, exported, restore your Mac to the Time Machine Backup you just created.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2020 9:48 PM in response to karlene271

karlene271 Said:

"deleted notes:[...] Can someone please help me? Is there a way to restore my notes or is it forever gone"

-------

A Few Thoughts Recover These:

• Log in: to iCloud, and enable Notes. Go to: System Preferences > iCloud > Enable: Notes

• Check: other devices associated to your account.

• Restore: through a Time Machine Backup. First, create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac. Then, restore your Mac from a prior Time Machine Backup. Then export them to iCloud. Once, exported, restore your Mac to the Time Machine Backup you just created.

Jul 2, 2020 7:21 PM in response to karlene271

karlene271 Said:

"deleted notes:[...] the last option of doing a time machine backup I already have the notes up until I restarted and install Mojave. That was over a year ago and I did put more notes in notes. Those are what I wanted.[...]"

-------

Try Migration Assistant

See if using Migration Assistant will allow you to transfer these over. Go Here: How to Move your Content to a New Mac - Apple Support.

Jul 2, 2020 6:17 PM in response to TheLittles

Thank you for replying. I cannot do ICloud the first suggestion. System preference does not give me the >iCloud>Enable:Notes option. There is nothing on the mac or online notes option. They are not in iCloud. And the last option of doing a time machine backup I already have the notes up until I restarted and install Mojave. That was over a year ago and I did put more notes in notes. Those are what I wanted. When I look at notes library or the container that notes are stored in they come out in hex language [what I call it] and I cannot translate what it is saying even when I put them in a web browser. It does not work.

deleted notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.