Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wikipedia Article Images Grayed Out on iPad

Why are Wikipedia articles’ images grayed out with the gray boxes where images are supposed to be captioned “tap to display image” on the mobile view, which view automatically is used when searching the Internet by the iPad (running iPadOS 13.5.1)? A reader using an iPad has to go to the trouble of tapping each image to see it, or go to the trouble to switch to “Desktop” mode, or install and separately use a Google Chrome app. I am using Google as the Safari search engine, so why doesn’t Safari utilize Google Chrome or, otherwise, why isn’t Safari configured so selected search engines open Wikipedia articles without the images grayed out (they are grayed out if you select Yahoo, Bing or DuckDuckGo for Safari, also)? This doesn’t happen on my iPhone; why the graying out images on my iPad Mini 4, with only 20.7GB of 128GB used?

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 7:36 PM

Thanks QuickPost. That's what I thought about, too; but, as it turns out, after several hours on the phone with customer service - the initial associate having me doing all sort of machinations including resetting all settings, etc., etc., etc., the matter went to a higher authority (Ann) who after some more machinations found there was an internal software glitch in the iPad requiring doing a save to iCloud and complete erase of all content and settings and reinstall which, of course, took time, settings reset in some cases, and app password resets, etc.. I initially voiced to Ann that I thought it was a Wikipedia problem, but she didn't give up and was knowledgeable in rooting out the problem and fix. Anyone reading this with the same problem- save yourself time and ask for the next level of customer service and tell the associate of my experience and you should get the issue resolved.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2020 7:36 PM in response to QuickPost

Thanks QuickPost. That's what I thought about, too; but, as it turns out, after several hours on the phone with customer service - the initial associate having me doing all sort of machinations including resetting all settings, etc., etc., etc., the matter went to a higher authority (Ann) who after some more machinations found there was an internal software glitch in the iPad requiring doing a save to iCloud and complete erase of all content and settings and reinstall which, of course, took time, settings reset in some cases, and app password resets, etc.. I initially voiced to Ann that I thought it was a Wikipedia problem, but she didn't give up and was knowledgeable in rooting out the problem and fix. Anyone reading this with the same problem- save yourself time and ask for the next level of customer service and tell the associate of my experience and you should get the issue resolved.

Wikipedia Article Images Grayed Out on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.