Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TROJAN CRYXOS

I change to don't allow pop ups, I installed Bitdefender, I uninstalled flash adobe and still get a crazy amount of pop ups un a second window randomly.

JS:Trojan.Cryxos.3699

What can I do to troubleshoot this mess?

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 2:29 PM

First, thoroughly uninstall Bitdefender per the vendor's instructions. Just dragging it to the trash will not do this. Reboot your Mac afterward.

There are no viruses on the Mac, and Bitdefender won't stop you from installing software infested with ad/malware from questionable download sites. The one thing that you can count on with any anti-virus tool is for it to throw false positives, interfere with your browsing or applications, and conflict with the built-in macOS security.

You would be better served to only download software directly from the original software author site, and use the free Malwarebytes for Mac (not an A/V tool) to scan for, and eliminate malware — because it is purposely designed to do that.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2020 2:29 PM in response to flyivan

First, thoroughly uninstall Bitdefender per the vendor's instructions. Just dragging it to the trash will not do this. Reboot your Mac afterward.

There are no viruses on the Mac, and Bitdefender won't stop you from installing software infested with ad/malware from questionable download sites. The one thing that you can count on with any anti-virus tool is for it to throw false positives, interfere with your browsing or applications, and conflict with the built-in macOS security.

You would be better served to only download software directly from the original software author site, and use the free Malwarebytes for Mac (not an A/V tool) to scan for, and eliminate malware — because it is purposely designed to do that.

Jul 20, 2020 9:14 AM in response to flyivan

Best at what? Taking your money for nothing in return? It's pure, useless garbage. You didn't get the idea how worthless it is after your own topic here?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251439113

Your own quote: Bought Antivirus Bitdefender and I still have the problem.

Of course you do. Because all typical AV software is 100% junk. There are no Mac viruses, so there's nothing to detect. There isn't a single AV title that will even attempt to stop you from installing a Trojan. Very rarely will they even tell you afterwards you installed one.

TROJAN CRYXOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.