Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE (original/legacy/old/1st/2016-17) problems - No Service and occasional random shutdown screen

My old SE probably has a degraded flex-cable/button-board which is commonly associated with the "shutdown button seems functional but the phone is behaving like SB is being depressed randomly" problem.

Question 1 - does "No Service" commonly follow "randomly depressed shutdown key" as the affected part gets worse? ie is that other people's experience or not?

Question 2 - this sucker needs a new battery soon anyway, would Apple replace both for me at a not effing ridiculous price. In Adelaide, South Australia.

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 26, 2020 7:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 7:09 PM

Hi, Lam Lam.

Thank you for reaching out on the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you’re experiencing issues where the Sleep/Wake button appears to be randomly depressed followed by the “No Service” issue. It sounds like you may be experiencing battery issues as well.

The state of your battery can impact the performance on your iPhone. If your Maximum Capacity is at 80% or below, or if performance management has been applied, you may need to have the battery replaced. 

This article will also explain how a degraded battery can impact the performance: 

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

We suggest having your iPhone inspected by an Apple technician to determine the best plan to resolve all issues. 

Contact Apple Support

Cheers.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2020 7:09 PM in response to Lam Lam

Hi, Lam Lam.

Thank you for reaching out on the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you’re experiencing issues where the Sleep/Wake button appears to be randomly depressed followed by the “No Service” issue. It sounds like you may be experiencing battery issues as well.

The state of your battery can impact the performance on your iPhone. If your Maximum Capacity is at 80% or below, or if performance management has been applied, you may need to have the battery replaced. 

This article will also explain how a degraded battery can impact the performance: 

iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

We suggest having your iPhone inspected by an Apple technician to determine the best plan to resolve all issues. 

Contact Apple Support

Cheers.

Jun 30, 2020 7:20 PM in response to Chris_D13

Thanks for that Chris.

iOS's System Prefs --> Battery reports my old SE's Maximum Capacity as 79%, and reports "an unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power." so I think you've hit the nail on the head re. the battery. I live in a bad cell service area so I'd expect the battery to have worked harder than usual, but I'm a bit surprised by the (likely) failing flex cable after only a few years. I wish they still made these suckers like my old iPad 2 :)

iPhone SE (original/legacy/old/1st/2016-17) problems - No Service and occasional random shutdown screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.