Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When backing up iMessage or WhatsApp in iCloud are deleted messages saved

Background:

I use iMessage and WhatsApp for work and I have them both "backed up" on iCloud.

Question:

If I inadvertently delete one or more of my messages (either iMessage or WhatsApp) are they saved in the backup on my iCloud account?

iPhone XS

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 9:46 AM

If I understand what you are doing, if you aren't syncing Messages with iCloud, and you backed you your phone last night, if you delete a message from today, the message won't be in the backup.

There isn't a way to assure you can keep all messages, including deleted ones. There isn't a Trash like Mail has for messages where you can go to recover deleted messages that aren't part of a backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2020 9:46 AM in response to jonathanfromaurora

If I understand what you are doing, if you aren't syncing Messages with iCloud, and you backed you your phone last night, if you delete a message from today, the message won't be in the backup.

There isn't a way to assure you can keep all messages, including deleted ones. There isn't a Trash like Mail has for messages where you can go to recover deleted messages that aren't part of a backup.

Jun 27, 2020 9:38 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric

I want to make sure that I understand, so I'm going to give you a specific use case.

I'm texting back and forth with a client, I accidentally delete his/her reply. I recharge my phone later that night. If I understand what you are saying I will not have the message that was accidentally deleted in the back up. Am I understanding you correctly?

My need is to finding the deleted message in iCloud. Is there a setup that enables my need to keep all messages (including deleted)?

When backing up iMessage or WhatsApp in iCloud are deleted messages saved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.