Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS Shortcuts 'Add to a spreadsheet': All data ends up in first cell in row

Hi,

I'm trying to add a row to a Numbers spreadsheet in shortcuts using 'Add to a spreadsheet'. I've managed to get it to add a row, but all of the data ends up in the first cell. I've tried separating the fields with a space, a comma, and a tab (that's fun, figuring out how to get a tab into a text field!). Nothing seems to actually get the different values into separate cells.

Can't find any examples in the Shortcuts gallery but that might be where Apple's app names create problems...

Help?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 3:57 PM

Figured it out. Now I have to figure out how to work it into my Shortcut.

What I was trying to do was use a 'Text' action in Shortcuts with multiple values separated by a tab (or a space, or a newline, or a comma). I fed that text result into the 'values' field of the Numbers 'Add row to data' and it always ended up in the first cell. The first time I ran the shortcut I got asked about separators so that led me down the wrong path.

Because that's not how it works. You have to use the '+' key in the values field to add each cell's value separately. Which means if I want to add a row of data containing three cells, I need to have three different 'Text' actions (or other results) and add each to the values field separately.

I guess in a way that makes sense but it's going to be cumbersome if one wants to add a bunch of data.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2020 3:57 PM in response to QuickPost

Figured it out. Now I have to figure out how to work it into my Shortcut.

What I was trying to do was use a 'Text' action in Shortcuts with multiple values separated by a tab (or a space, or a newline, or a comma). I fed that text result into the 'values' field of the Numbers 'Add row to data' and it always ended up in the first cell. The first time I ran the shortcut I got asked about separators so that led me down the wrong path.

Because that's not how it works. You have to use the '+' key in the values field to add each cell's value separately. Which means if I want to add a row of data containing three cells, I need to have three different 'Text' actions (or other results) and add each to the values field separately.

I guess in a way that makes sense but it's going to be cumbersome if one wants to add a bunch of data.

iOS Shortcuts 'Add to a spreadsheet': All data ends up in first cell in row

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.