Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

American Female Siri no longer speaks

iOS 13.5.1, iPhone XS Max

The American, Female version of Siri no longer speaks (is audible) on Maps or just straight Siri. Doesn't matter if it's Bluetooth or iPhone. It's not related to the "Voice Feedback" setting (it's set to "Always". It's not a volume issue (the volume is maxed on the Siri screen). This is literally a bug or a corruption of something related to the Siri American, Female version. How do I know this? Simply changing to Male on American (or any other accent), without changing anything else, makes Siri audible again.

I've submitted a bug report, but is anyone else having this problem? If so, have you been able to solve it on your own? (FYI: I've rebooted the phone like eight million times already)

iPhone XS Max, iOS 13

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2020 9:24 AM

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your response. The issue has resolved itself on its own and, based on what I read at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251520340?answerId=252943047022#252943047022, it looks like it was an issue on the backend at Apple.

Hopefully, with iOS 14's decoupling of Siri from the backend, this will be less likely to happen in the future. It sure was frustrating to lose voice based navigation in Apple Maps!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2020 9:24 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your response. The issue has resolved itself on its own and, based on what I read at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251520340?answerId=252943047022#252943047022, it looks like it was an issue on the backend at Apple.

Hopefully, with iOS 14's decoupling of Siri from the backend, this will be less likely to happen in the future. It sure was frustrating to lose voice based navigation in Apple Maps!

Jul 2, 2020 7:21 AM in response to ParadiseFH

Hello ParadiseFH,

Thank you for choosing Apple Support Communities!

It sounds as though you're noticing an issue where when choosing the American (Female) Siri Voice there is no sound during Maps navigation or when using Siri regularly. You're in the right place, and we'd be glad to assist in seeking a solution.

Let's use these steps:

• First, let's make sure the iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
  • Then, let's connect the iPhone to a power adapter.
  • Next, leave the iPhone connected to both power and a Wi-Fi network for a full hour.
  • After the hour, let's test Siri to see if the issue has been resolved.

Below is a resource that can provide additional information on changing the Siri Voice:

Change Siri voice or language

We hope this helps,

Cheers!

American Female Siri no longer speaks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.