Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri awakening with umhmm

When I start with Hey Siri and not immediately continuing with request, it responds with umhmmm after saying Hey Siri. This never happened until an update to IOS 15. I have changed the language to Australian, British, Irish etc and changed the voice options in each with no luck. Same response to Hey Siri in all of them. I've read previous responses that say if I don't pause after awakening Siri and go right into what I want it to do, I won't get the umhmmm. I understand that but this is a new thing that just started with IOS 15 or one of the updates. Is there, or will there be a fix to the IOS or is not stopping after awakening SIRI the only solution? Oh, and by the way, I just upgraded from the iPhone 7 Plus to the iPhone 12, if that makes any difference. Thanks for your time.

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2021 2:42 PM

Hello 3048Eag,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

When you address Siri with "Hey, Siri" and then pause, Siri will respond with a "hmmm". This appears to be an additional response added to Siri along with the iOS 15 update. This would be a response indicating it has heard your initial address to Siri and is waiting for you to continue. Previous versions of Siri would respond with some other form asking if you have a question or what you want to do. As you have observed, going straight into your request after the initial "Hey, Siri" will not return this response.

Change Siri settings on iPhone

Best regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2021 2:42 PM in response to 3048Eag

Hello 3048Eag,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

When you address Siri with "Hey, Siri" and then pause, Siri will respond with a "hmmm". This appears to be an additional response added to Siri along with the iOS 15 update. This would be a response indicating it has heard your initial address to Siri and is waiting for you to continue. Previous versions of Siri would respond with some other form asking if you have a question or what you want to do. As you have observed, going straight into your request after the initial "Hey, Siri" will not return this response.

Change Siri settings on iPhone

Best regards.

Siri awakening with umhmm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.