Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air for photography

Macbook air is not cutting it for photograpy. Looking to other photographers on which mac they use and how they work with thousands of photos being taken.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 2:57 PM

8 replies

Jul 16, 2020 8:35 AM in response to voxcap

Use external storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

You can do that, but what limitation are you encountering that would require it? You wrote "Macbook air is not cutting it for photograpy." Specific information is needed. What does not cutting mean.

If you are encountering a storage limitation even 20,000 photographs is nothing particularly special, but without knowing the aggregate storage requirements of all those photographs I'm guessing if your MacBook Air only has 256 GB storage it won't be enough. 1 TB probably will be enough. You can configure new MBAs with as much as 2 TB which would certainly be enough.

To determine your Mac's storage capacity and utilization:  (Apple menu) > About This Mac > Storage

Jul 16, 2020 8:31 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you John for your help. I broke down last night and bought a new MacBook Pro with this configuration. I am hoping I chose the correct one for what I am doing!

• 2.3GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics
  • 16GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
  • 1TB SSD storage

Jul 16, 2020 8:41 PM in response to neuroanatomist

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate your help. I decided on a new MacBook Pro and I configured it like this.

• 2.3GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics
  • 16GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
  • 1TB SSD storage

I am hoping this is enough. Sounds like you are far more advanced than I am. If I optimize the photo storage on my mac then the photos are not fully downloaded correct? and will save me space? Do you keep photos you will be working with on the external hard drive then have to plug it in each time you work?

Jul 16, 2020 1:50 PM in response to voxcap

Seconding the question from John Galt – how is your MBA 'not cutting it'?

I use a MacBook Pro for photo editing, but although I'm currently switching over to a new 16" MBP, I was processing RAW files yesterday on the machine I'm switching from, a 17" MacBook Pro from 2011. I use DxO Optics Pro for RAW conversions and Photoshop CS6 for general editing, both of which are more processor-intensive than LR (especially the DxO Prime NR processing). I've got well over 40K images (RAW files and jpgs) on the computer, although I did swap out the original 500 GB HDD for a 1 TB SSD a few years ago. I could see storage being a limitation, most of my RAW files are 18 MP images (from a Canon 1D X), the 30 MP RAW files from my EOS R take up more space. But, external drives are cheap, and realistically I don't need to keep my older RAW files on my notebook internal drive anyway, I have a 10 TB NAS (20 TB RAID1) for backups (we have 5 Macs in the house) and storing files.

A MacBook Air from the past couple of years is a more powerful machine than my old MBP (which has 2nd-gen Core i7, i.e. ancient in computer time). I can say that a MacBook Air would not cut it for me, because of the small display. That's why I held off on buying a 15" MBP (well, personally – I actually have a 2017 15" MBP from work). But an external display with an Air would be fine for my photo-editing needs, possibly with a Thunderbolt SSD attached for RAW file archiving.

MacBook Air for photography

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.