Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos in Photos Library aren't uploaded to iCloud Drive.

My photos in the Photos Library aren't uploading to iCloud Drive. There's a cloud with a slash mark through it next to the Photos Library in my local iCloud Drive folder. I have plenty of space for all my photos in my iCloud Drive. How do I get all my photos to upload?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 1:59 AM

Two locations, which is kind of weird: 1. the Home folder and 2. the iCloud folder.

I'll put it more bluntly as Winston Churchill has done. If your second photos library is on iCloud Drive, you need to remove it from there as soon as possible. The library is in danger there. The iCloud syncing will damage the library. Move the library from iCloud Drive to your Pictures folder or to an external volume (prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support)

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 1:59 AM in response to mahastew

Two locations, which is kind of weird: 1. the Home folder and 2. the iCloud folder.

I'll put it more bluntly as Winston Churchill has done. If your second photos library is on iCloud Drive, you need to remove it from there as soon as possible. The library is in danger there. The iCloud syncing will damage the library. Move the library from iCloud Drive to your Pictures folder or to an external volume (prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support)

Jun 28, 2020 3:47 PM in response to mahastew

Please do the following:

If Photo is currently open please quit it, then reopen it whilst holding down the ⌥ key. You should be presented with a window which looks like this below. (When you are finished please simply close it with the red button, do not select any other options at this stage)

Please tell me how many libraries you see listed and where they are located. You can tell where they are located by clicking on them to highlight them, the location is then given underneath as in the image below. When clicking to select the library, make sure that you only click once.

Jun 28, 2020 3:14 PM in response to mahastew

Welcome to the Apple community.

The photos in your photo library don't belong to iCloud Drive they upload to iCloud Photos, but only if iCloud photos is enabled.

You can't have an iCloud photo library in your iCloud Drive folder, if you have put one there it will not sync up to the cloud and you will get the icon next to it that you have described.

Jun 28, 2020 3:23 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Hi. Thanks for directing me to the right place. Only the photos from my iPhone and iPad have been uploaded to the Cloud and none from my laptop. In the navigation bar, there are SOME of the albums I've created on my laptop in Photos, but none of them contains any photos. It's sort of like they were preparing to upload and then something stopped it. Any ideas?

My photos in Photos Library aren't uploaded to iCloud Drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.