Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo storage question. I do not store my photos in Photos on my computer, but rather in a folder in ICloud, organized by my own system. Some of the photos show up with a cloud and others don't have a cloud. What does this mean?

Photo storage question. I do not store my photos in Photos on my computer, but rather in a folder in ICloud, organized by my own system. Some of the photos show up with a cloud and others don't have a cloud. What does this mean? Why does this happen?

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2020 3:34 PM

ali4bes wrote:

Photo storage question. I do not store my photos in Photos on my computer, but rather in a folder in ICloud, organized by my own system. Some of the photos show up with a cloud and others don't have a cloud. What does this mean? Why does this happen?

This would mean the files/photos with a cloud icon are only on iCloud and without an icon are also stored locally on your Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2020 3:34 PM in response to ali4bes

ali4bes wrote:

This would mean the files/photos with a cloud icon are only on iCloud and without an icon are also stored locally on your Mac.

Oct 5, 2020 5:26 PM in response to LACAllen

Thank you! One more question. Sometimes when I want to attach an image to an email or text, I will open the folder where it is supposedly stored in iCloud. Some of the photos (In the same folder) are able to be opened or attached and others within the same folder show up, but area grayed out and I can’t open nor attach them. What happened to these photos?

Oct 5, 2020 5:31 PM in response to ali4bes

ali4bes wrote:

Thank you! One more question. Sometimes when I want to attach an image to an email or text, I will open the folder where it is supposedly stored in iCloud. Some of the photos (In the same folder) are able to be opened or attached and others within the same folder show up, but area grayed out and I can’t open nor attach them. What happened to these photos?

Once selected, the photo should download and you can use it. that may not be instantaneous.

Photo storage question. I do not store my photos in Photos on my computer, but rather in a folder in ICloud, organized by my own system. Some of the photos show up with a cloud and others don't have a cloud. What does this mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.