Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i-Tunes won't play next song

I can't get i-Tunes to move to the next song and play automatically... what is going on?? It has never been a problem before. I don't listen to i-Tunes often, so did I miss something in an update?

Thanks

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 3:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 2:49 PM

BINGO! I wasn't able to re-start i-Tunes - it wouldn't respond except to play the next song, so I shut my computer down and restarted, then tried iTunes again and it seems to be working correctly. I generally re-start my computer at least once a week, but as you suggested I probably went too long between restarts this time... Thank you so much! I feel silly that it was something so simple and it should have occurred to me to restart it. I really appreciate your expertise and time.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 30, 2020 2:49 PM in response to the fiend

BINGO! I wasn't able to re-start i-Tunes - it wouldn't respond except to play the next song, so I shut my computer down and restarted, then tried iTunes again and it seems to be working correctly. I generally re-start my computer at least once a week, but as you suggested I probably went too long between restarts this time... Thank you so much! I feel silly that it was something so simple and it should have occurred to me to restart it. I really appreciate your expertise and time.

Jun 29, 2020 11:05 AM in response to Mushemmett1

Perhaps you have unticked every song.

Look at your songs in the Songs view. You should see a box to the left of each song title. If there is no tick in the box, iTunes will not play the song unless you specifically select it.

What this means is that if you play any song in a list with all tickboxes turned off, once that song finishes, there is nothing left for iTunes to play.

• to turn a tick back on, simply click the box.
  • if all the ticks in the list you're looking at are off, you can hold down the CTRL button on your keyboard and click on any empty box. All ticks will turn on. Be very careful though, if the list is mixed (some on, some off), your first click may turn every tick off. A second click will turn every tick on.

Jun 29, 2020 1:19 PM in response to Mushemmett1

I have a lot of experience with iTunes and as far as I'm aware, there are only two causes of songs not playing unless you specifically click on them. We've covered the first one.

The second cause is if you have your player in Shuffle mode and the songs in the list are set to Skip when shuffling. Are you playing in Shuffle mode?

In the screenshot above, the icon Shuffle icon (the crossed arrows) has white arrows on a dark background. This means the player is in Shuffle mode, or that Shuffle is on. Click on it to turn it off. Alternatively, use Control/Shuffle/Off to turn shuffle off.

Note, in a Playlist, clicking on the Shuffle All text does not turn shuffle off.

As a quick test, if you were in Shuffle mode, make sure it is off and start a new song playing by double-licking on it. When it finishes, does another song play or does the player stop again?

Jun 29, 2020 4:51 PM in response to the fiend

Hi again. I really appreciate your help!! I checked and the Shuffle was off. I double clicked to start a song, and when it finished, the player stopped again. I had noticed just before responding you this time that the time notation (right underneath the title of the song at the top of the screen) wasn't advancing as I was listening to the song. If I click on the song title in the song list while it is playing, the time counter will jump to the correct place, but then stops as if the song isn't playing. If I click it so that the notation reads 00 time left, then the next song starts right away, just like it should. Oddly enough, for ONE song I listened to, the time counter worked fine, then the next song started. Other songs, it's like the player doesn't think there is a song playing. Does that make any sense at all??

i-Tunes won't play next song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.