Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wacom Tablet Install Problem

Hi -

I've been struggling to install a Wacom tablet (mod. CTL610) driver (v. 6.3.39-1) on my 2012-era MBP (OS 10.13.6)

The installer gets most of the way through before hanging at the last step, seemingly because it needs

Security & Privacy permissions which I cannot access - the installer prompts me to give permission to the Wacom app, but "System Preferences is currently being updated" while the installer is running. When I hard-restarted the system into Safe Mode, System Preferences remained inaccessible and I had to install a back-up image of my computer to make it functional again.

I tried to manually give permission to the app ahead of time via the Terminal, but I got the same error message. Are there compatibility issues with this most recent driver an my OS? Is there a driver that should work?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 10:40 AM

I ended up just booting into Recovery Mode, running spctl kext-consent disable, restarting, installing the driver, then returning to Recovery mode to enable kext-consent again and whitelist the developer.

Now the tablet seems to be running fine, except that I'm still having a problem connecting Bluetooth from the tablet, which may be related, but could be another problem entirely.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2020 10:40 AM in response to GoodGreenHeron

I ended up just booting into Recovery Mode, running spctl kext-consent disable, restarting, installing the driver, then returning to Recovery mode to enable kext-consent again and whitelist the developer.

Now the tablet seems to be running fine, except that I'm still having a problem connecting Bluetooth from the tablet, which may be related, but could be another problem entirely.

Jun 29, 2020 6:56 AM in response to BDAqua

Yep - I just tried to install a previous version of the softeware, and I'm doing a little digging through the Install log, just to see if I can find a searchable problem, and I'm seeing this error repeatedly:

kextcache: Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7fe562dc6f10 [0x7fffa7443b40]> { URL = "file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/FTDIKext.kext/", ID = "com.FTDI.driver.D2XXHelper" }

Which looks like it might have something to do with this: https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/technotes/tn2459/_index.html

But I'm not entirely sure how to move forward from that error.

Jun 29, 2020 9:20 AM in response to BDAqua

I can try installing it in Safe Mode, but when I hard restarted my computer into Safe Mode while the installer was hanging, I was still unable to access System Prefs. I'm wondering if disabling kext consent, or adding the devID through sctl kext-consent might work, also? I just don't want to break anything.

Now running Time Machine from my external for the fourth time this week.

Jun 29, 2020 3:08 PM in response to GoodGreenHeron

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

You can save us asking dozens of questions by submitting a report from this App for us to look at…

EtreCheck is a simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report if you capture the URL while there…

https://pastebin.com/

Jul 1, 2020 7:11 AM in response to BDAqua

As of last night I've currently got an equally clunky workaround for the BT.

First, I had to manually add the WacomTabletDriver.app file to the Accessibility Privacy permissions. Now, when I link the BT, I can peek in Activity Monitor to see the Driver is hanging, force quit the app, and suddenly my tablet is BT operational. I'd love a less inconvenient method, but at least it's got mostly full functionality and I learned a little command line troubleshooting?

Frustrating about the kext-consent, though - the more I read about that issue the more absurd it seemed from a user-side perspective, security aside.

Wacom Tablet Install Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.