Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro mid 2010 iOS update freezes at startup /Screen goes black after password entry then returns to Password entry screen

went through iOS update {not sure if it was for High Sierra or Catalina ~ supposedly noncapatable but download appeared to complete} on Mid 2010 MacBook Pro> now displays password entry screen > once password entered, begins startup for 2 seconds then screen goes black for several seconds and returns to password entry screen. Have tried "safe start" using shift key at power up... didn't work.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2020 9:02 PM

High Sierra is compatible with your 2010 MacBook Pro. Catalina is not. Which one was it do you think? Did you acquire the update from a source other than Apple?

I recommend that you use the ➔ macOS Recovery Mode and install High Sierra on it.

Axel F.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 1, 2020 4:33 PM in response to Axel Foley

Thanks very much Axel- the Command-R keys got me out of the loop and allowed me to reinstall my backup via Time Machine and a print to install (again) High Sierra update! Not sure if I wanna try again as it took a full 24 hours ( I had the MacBook storage expanded/increased a couple years back) to reinstall what I had. I may just leave the ol’ workhorse as is , making use of the CD burner for tunes and use a MacBook Air I bought last year for majority of tasks/usage- just having the link you gave me kept this Cdn Senior (on a low fixed income) outa the Apple store- my last experience there wasn’t pleasant, they (mgr) seemed more interested in serving the masses with loose money that crowded the place than a longtime loyal Mac / Apple fan.

Jul 1, 2020 11:57 PM in response to Axel Foley

Since the reboot it won’t load my photo library (over 50k images) tho stored in iCloud) telling me my “applications are full” BUT I can access those through my other devices and, most importantly to me, my iTunes library downloaded and remains accessible. Thank you again- may you experience Good Karma as a result of your assistance Axel 🙏

Gary N / Alberta

MacBook Pro mid 2010 iOS update freezes at startup /Screen goes black after password entry then returns to Password entry screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.