Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina 10.15.5 won't install on my macbook air 2014 even though I have 11GB of space

Can anyone advise why Catalina 10.15.5 won't install?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 1:45 AM

11GB of space is not nearly enough to do the installation.

Actually, it is not enough of free space just for your mac to run day to day stuff, since the OS needs to use some disk space for caches, virtual memory, etc. One is advised to always keep at least 15-20% free on any drive, especially a system drive.

But when updating it needs to expand the installer files, and also keep copies of the old stuff until it finishes putting the new stuff in place.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 1:45 AM in response to Crusher_59

11GB of space is not nearly enough to do the installation.

Actually, it is not enough of free space just for your mac to run day to day stuff, since the OS needs to use some disk space for caches, virtual memory, etc. One is advised to always keep at least 15-20% free on any drive, especially a system drive.

But when updating it needs to expand the installer files, and also keep copies of the old stuff until it finishes putting the new stuff in place.

Catalina 10.15.5 won't install on my macbook air 2014 even though I have 11GB of space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.