Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home automation with Samsung TV?

If I purchase a Samsung TV with built in Apple TV app can that TV be used as a home hub for automation with HomeKit or would I still need a stand alone Apple TV box connected to the TV?

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 7:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 7:49 AM

You would need the Apple TV box for that, the Samsung does not have that ability as far as I know. What the Samsung came with is the ability to get the Apple TV app which is a totally different product than Apple TV +. To learn more about Apple's TV offerings I'd recommend going to www.apple.com/tv . You will find that Apple has a variety of products, all are completely different and include:

• Apple TV (App)
  • Apple TV + (streaming service)
  • Apple TV HD (hardware)
  • Apple TV 4K (hardware)
  • AirPlay
  • Accessories
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 7:49 AM in response to Sandstormbynight

You would need the Apple TV box for that, the Samsung does not have that ability as far as I know. What the Samsung came with is the ability to get the Apple TV app which is a totally different product than Apple TV +. To learn more about Apple's TV offerings I'd recommend going to www.apple.com/tv . You will find that Apple has a variety of products, all are completely different and include:

• Apple TV (App)
  • Apple TV + (streaming service)
  • Apple TV HD (hardware)
  • Apple TV 4K (hardware)
  • AirPlay
  • Accessories

Jun 29, 2020 7:46 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks! I've read that the iPad home hub is the least liked. So I'm down to choosing between a Home Hub or the Apple TV for home automation purposes. I want the least amount of hardware/remote controls as possible for my TV setup so maybe it makes more sense to go with the Home Hub? Seems like most people say the Home Hub route provides more and/or quicker responsiveness to commands. But I have zero experience in this realm, just getting started.

Jun 29, 2020 10:45 AM in response to Winston Churchill

My apologies, you are correct. I'm trying to decide which device is best for a home hub, the HomePod or AppleTV. I've read some responses to this online but still not sure. My main priority is to start automating my home and having control over devices such as cameras, motion sensors, lights, garage door etc. I don't stream music in my home and if Siri will respond to my requests to control home automation through my phone, which is always on me, I don't see the benefit of the HomePod. However, as far as the AppleTV box goes, I'm always a fan of reducing hardware/remotes, etc where possible. I wish the capability was integrated into a smart TV itself. I don't utilize anything through the Apple TV app currently and I'm not sure about all it has to offer, I typically stream content Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.

Jun 29, 2020 11:31 AM in response to Sandstormbynight

I guess a major factor is what you have most use for, I like the Apple TV (we have 6 in the house) but I know others that are fine with a cheap fire stick. The speaker on the HomePod is awesome, miles above the quality of the alexa or the google ones, also it's very good at listening and can hear you in the next room on many occasions, but then again, if you have an Apple watch that can here your instructions wherever you are just by raising your arm. We also have 2 HomePods, but I don't use them as much as the Apple TV's except when I'm in the garden. my wife and my son use the HomePods more than I do.

Home automation with Samsung TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.