You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When "saving as" the rest of the files are greyed out

Hello all,

this is mostly cosmetic issue that i have with the "saved as" option. I tried to search the community but didn't find anything related to Catalina OR to my exact problem.

Mind that I just migrated to Catalina (but from High Sierra).

When lets say i'm trying to print as a pdf i "save as" then the finder window pops up and i have the option to save the file... again the fonctionnality works but why is everything greyed out?? I don't have my eagle eye anymore (i'm 50) so i would like to actually see ALL the file names (even if they do not concern pdf's). Just regular black file name.... not this light grey.

So, if there is an option other than turn everything off graphicly and go bonkers in the accessibility panel then i would very much like to know about it!

Tried dark mode, light mode, auto mode but nothing will restore the file names as regular file name. Also tried to look at the permissions (UI or terminal). Haven't checked something like Onyx that might propose something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 8:56 AM

3 replies

Jun 29, 2020 12:07 PM in response to e_berthiaume

With High Sierra, in the Print… PDF : Save as PDF panel, the only filesystem objects that are not grayed out, and selectable are folders, because you may want to save into a Folder. Regular files are grayed out, as intended. In Catalina, the same PDF save as panel has changed below the icon view, but you can drag a corner of that panel to expand the icon view. Nevertheless, the non-folder objects are grayed out and unselectable, while the folders remain selectable. This is the expected behavior of the Save as panel across operating systems.

When "saving as" the rest of the files are greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.