Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I update my Apple TV

Hello,

I have an old Apple TV and a Samsung TV I bought in 2012. Should I upgrade to the new Apple TV HD 4 I believe it is, and what if the benefit of doing that? Do you buy old equipment?

Regards,

Marta

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 2:02 PM

Marta,

The Apple TV HD and 4K are huge upgrades over your older Apple TV. First, you have the App Store so you can get many more apps than your current hard wired device has. If you are a gamer, you can also get games apps and connect a gaming controller to the Apple TV. You can also use it as a home automation hub, meaning if you to automate items like speaker, lighting etc. you can do that. Finally you will have a much more robust library of viewing available to you. I have 3 older Apple TV's and 1 Apple TV4K. I use all of them but the 4K is by far my favorite.

Your current TV is likely not a 4K device, so a Apple TV HD would be fine with it. However, if you have any plans at any point in the future to upgrade to 4K then get the Apple TV4K. It will work virtually the same as an ATV HD but when you get a 4K TV, connect it and begin watching 4K content it will be a whole new viewing experience.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 2:02 PM in response to martafromkaty

Marta,

The Apple TV HD and 4K are huge upgrades over your older Apple TV. First, you have the App Store so you can get many more apps than your current hard wired device has. If you are a gamer, you can also get games apps and connect a gaming controller to the Apple TV. You can also use it as a home automation hub, meaning if you to automate items like speaker, lighting etc. you can do that. Finally you will have a much more robust library of viewing available to you. I have 3 older Apple TV's and 1 Apple TV4K. I use all of them but the 4K is by far my favorite.

Your current TV is likely not a 4K device, so a Apple TV HD would be fine with it. However, if you have any plans at any point in the future to upgrade to 4K then get the Apple TV4K. It will work virtually the same as an ATV HD but when you get a 4K TV, connect it and begin watching 4K content it will be a whole new viewing experience.

Should I update my Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.