Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After I try to erase the disk in disk utility it says “erase has failed” what do I do

After I try to erase the disk in disk utility it says “erase has failed” what do I do

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 2:03 PM

Make sure you are booted into Recovery Mode, Internet Recovery Mode, or from a macOS USB installer. You must boot from another source to erase a system boot drive.

Also try it again. I've found that Disk Utility is sometimes failing on the first attempt to erase a drive.

If you are booting from another source and the erase fails two times in a row, then you most likely have a bad drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2020 2:03 PM in response to G1nnay

Make sure you are booted into Recovery Mode, Internet Recovery Mode, or from a macOS USB installer. You must boot from another source to erase a system boot drive.

Also try it again. I've found that Disk Utility is sometimes failing on the first attempt to erase a drive.

If you are booting from another source and the erase fails two times in a row, then you most likely have a bad drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.