Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verify unmodified firmware and iOS?

Can I verify my iPhone 8 firmware to make sure that it is not altered or hacked? Same question applies for my iPhone 8 iOS. Does the iOS also necessarily include every single bit of my iPhone 8 firmware, or are they partly distinct, as I expect?

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 7:05 PM

6 replies

Jul 3, 2020 8:05 PM in response to MoonDog2019

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities MoonDog2019,

We see that you have a question about your iPhone. We'd be happy to provide you with some information to help answer your questions.

The only way that this could happen is if there were unauthorized modifications done to your iPhone. Which means someone would have had to have your iPhone in their physical possession and have access to your Apple ID and password. If you think this has happened, take a look at the articles below for some additional information.

Unauthorized modification of iOS can cause security vulnerabilities, instability, shortened battery life, and other issues

If you think your Apple ID has been compromised

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Jul 4, 2020 8:07 PM in response to sterling r

So, you are saying that if I visited this site, that doing so would NEVER BE ABLE TO cause a virus to infect my iPhone’s iOS OR my iPhone’s firmware?!?

The site is given here:

https://securityvpnapp.com/t1/vmain/us/index.php?country_code=US&lpkey=15f6943c0966057e16&campaign=5054&trafficsource=Inxyads&device_model=iPhone&uclick=526je2hqvr&uclickhash=526je2hqvr-526je2hqvr-ft1n-0-e2qn-ojy9dz-ojy9bl-6f1e78

Aug 4, 2020 6:58 AM in response to LACAllen

I am FORCED to assume that by “it” you mean all software and iOS updates. Well, I have already been doing this persistently since I had this and any other Apple device. So you are also saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a virus or malware on Apple given that this is the case - but that is naive hubris at best, and is indefensible and unprovable on your part! So, I flatly do not believe the accuracy (and completeness) of your answer!

Aug 4, 2020 7:35 AM in response to MoonDog2019

The message in your screenshot is a common scam designed to con you into buying useless software or disclosing your bank account details. If you follow the advice in the previous answer then - yes - you won't get a virus or malware.

I'm pretty sure no-one much cares whether you believe this or not. You came here asking for advice, and you're welcome to ask elsewhere.

Aug 4, 2020 10:05 AM in response to MoonDog2019

So you are also saying that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a virus or malware on Apple given that this is the case -

Explain to me why I should defend words I never used????

but that is naive hubris at best, and is indefensible and unprovable on your part! So, I flatly do not believe the accuracy (and completeness) of your answer!

I suggest you back down my friend.

It's enough you have misquoted me, but this reply is wholly innappriate.

Even you sent to the wrong party. Which you did.

Your outrage has clouded your accuracy.

The site you refer is not Apple.

Verify unmodified firmware and iOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.