Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I do a security check of my iPhone, right now?

How do I do a security check of my iPhone, right now? ( …without waiting a month for an update, during which time the security violation may be working it’s mal-intent.)

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2021 2:32 PM

It, like all similar products, is unnecessary and totally worthless. The architecture of iOS is such that no app can access data in any other app (called “sandboxing”) so it can’t really prevent any intrusions into another app’s space. And sandboxing offers all the protection your iOS device needs. The best that can be said about it is that it does no harm other than to your finances.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2021 2:32 PM in response to TheLittles

It, like all similar products, is unnecessary and totally worthless. The architecture of iOS is such that no app can access data in any other app (called “sandboxing”) so it can’t really prevent any intrusions into another app’s space. And sandboxing offers all the protection your iOS device needs. The best that can be said about it is that it does no harm other than to your finances.

Sep 17, 2021 1:50 PM in response to Jimkennedy2021

Jimkennedy2021 Said:

"How do I do a security check of my iPhone, right now? ( …without waiting a month for an update, during which time the security violation may be working it’s mal-intent.)"

-------

For Thought:

People often flip out when mentioned on these forums. But, try: McAfee Mobile Security. You'll get it right on the App Store. I've used it on my iPhone for over half-a-decade, and not once it has ever gotten in the way. I only mention it because I'm curious if it would even find such things. Doubt it. But its worth a go.

Sep 17, 2021 1:22 PM in response to Jimkennedy2021

There is no way to do a security check and no need to. If you are an international terrorist, drug cartel don, journalist, or opposition leader in a country with a repressive government there is a chance your phone has spyware installed by NSO group. If you don’t fall into these categories your phone has no spyware on it. But if you want to check the app iMazing claims to be able to detect a Pegasus installation. Or just update to iOS 14.8.

How do I do a security check of my iPhone, right now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.