Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop between two iMacs

I am trying to set up Airdrop between two iMacs. One is running Catalina, and the other (an older iMac) is running High Sierra. I have wireless turned on and the computers are on the same network. Bluetooth is turned on on both computers. At one time I could "see" each computer in the other's iMac Airdrop display but now, I run Airdrop on both computers and neither shows up on the other. (I can see my iPhone on the iMac running Catalina, but not the one running High Sierra.

What could be wrong?

Thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 5:20 AM

Can you be more specific -- such as

1. The both model of the iMac (year of the model)
  2. The distance between the 2 iMacs

2011 and prior Macs do not support AirDrop between "iOS ..etc" and "MacOS"

7 replies

Jun 30, 2020 8:12 AM in response to usndoc

I know, it's hit or miss at the VERY VERY best. You really need a newer iMac than the 2011 to support Airdrop and other functionality. You should be preparing to replace that computer as it is obsolete (from a parts and repair point of view). I also have one and will be replacing it withing the next few months, something I've been saving for for some time.

Jun 30, 2020 8:52 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I have. I have a new 27" and a 21" that is slighly older, but not old. the 27" still had functionality but I know the process of planned obsolescence is in play. I guess the answer is: it can't happen. So be it. I also can't use it as a 2nd display screen. Otherwise the old iMac is an excellent computer, or a paperweight.

Airdrop between two iMacs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.