Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I retrieve my text messages I deleted

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 12:16 PM

4 replies

Jun 30, 2020 2:58 PM in response to FranzWebber

FranzWebber wrote:

If you have a backup with these messages, restore it to a spare device and sync messages through iCloud. Also this works if you have them in Messages app on your Mac.

That is really clever!

And it brings to mind another way that doesn’t require a spare device, but only if your computer is a Mac:

• Archive* the current backup that contains the messages on the Mac
  • Create a new backup of the phone and archive it
  • Restore the backup that contains the messages
  • Sync them to iCloud
  • Restore the new backup
  • Sync it to iCloud

*How to archive:

Mac OS 10.14 or earlier iTunes Preferences, Devices pane, right click on the backup, choose Archive

For Catalina or later, Finder, click on the iPhone, Manage backups, click on the backup, choose Archive

Jun 30, 2020 12:20 PM in response to charmain100

Most likely you can’t; with text messages gone is gone forever, which is why it makes you confirm that you meant to delete a message. If you do not sync texts to iCloud (Settings/[your name]/iCloud-Messages is OFF) and you have a backup that still contains the messages you can restore that backup to your phone. This will overwrite everything on the phone, however, not just the messages.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.