Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I automatically sync photos between MBA, iphone & iPad (& iCloud)?

I have used iTunes in the past to sync but it is so confusing. It is to me anyway. What boxes do I tick for it to occur automatically when I take a new photo/video. Surely I don't need to plug things in or press a button each time I want this to happen? I just want to see my newly taken photo/video automatically appear on all my devices, namely, MBA (early 2015, catalina), iPhone (6s) and iPad 2019 and icloud. Please don't direct me to an apple page; just tell me what to tick!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 1:30 PM

If you turn on iCloud Photos on each of those 3 devices, all photos will sync to iCloud and to the other devices.

On the iPhone and iPad, go to Settings > [username] > iCloud > Photos >and turn on iCloud Photos at the top of that screen. You may want to also turn on the Optimize iPhone Storage option to save space on your device. In spite of your request not to direct you to an Apple page, I am going to do just that and strongly encourage you to read it in order to understand optimization. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

On your Mac, open the Photos app and click Preferences in the menu named Photos and then click iCloud at the top of the Preferences window and then put a check mark in front of iCloud Photos. See above for information about optimization.

Be aware that syncing your photos will take some time when it is first turned on.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2020 1:30 PM in response to barneyhairball

If you turn on iCloud Photos on each of those 3 devices, all photos will sync to iCloud and to the other devices.

On the iPhone and iPad, go to Settings > [username] > iCloud > Photos >and turn on iCloud Photos at the top of that screen. You may want to also turn on the Optimize iPhone Storage option to save space on your device. In spite of your request not to direct you to an Apple page, I am going to do just that and strongly encourage you to read it in order to understand optimization. See: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

On your Mac, open the Photos app and click Preferences in the menu named Photos and then click iCloud at the top of the Preferences window and then put a check mark in front of iCloud Photos. See above for information about optimization.

Be aware that syncing your photos will take some time when it is first turned on.

Jun 30, 2020 2:14 PM in response to FoxFifth

Thank you so much. Just 1 or 2 questions. Where does the sync originate from, ie, I only take photos/videos using my iphone, so will my other devices 'take' the photos/videos from my phone? In the past I seem to have used iTunes and exported from my iPhone to my MBA (my iPad is quite new). At least I think that's what I did; it seemed messy anyway. With hindsight, maybe I have never synced! Sorry to sound stupid, but syncing like you advise, could it delete/overwrite anything? I suppose that's why I ask which way the sync works.

I have got to the part on MBA in Photos app where is states: please see screen shot. And then got scared off! I believe I have enuf memory but it looks like I have not. This confuses me as if my devices just sync then I am not using up any extra space as the items in my Photos app at present are the ones I have in my MBA, iPhone and iCloud. For the last few days i've been going thru them all to check and apart from one or two items they are quite similar. I just want them to be synced exactly and to update automatically, hence all these questions. Don't give up on me, see me more as a challenge. You talking to someone who knows what they are doing would be so boring for you (not?).

Jun 30, 2020 3:15 PM in response to barneyhairball

The sync is to and from iCloud (to iCloud from all devices where it is turned on and from iCloud to those devices). With iCloud Photos turned on in all of your devices you will end up with all of your photos on all of your devices (although some may be smaller optimized versions). If you only take new photos on your phone, they will be synced to all of your other devices. If you already have photos that you have manually added to your Mac or iPad that are also still currently on your iPhone, I strongly suspect (but cloud be wrong) that the sync won't know they are the same and you will end up with 2 of them on all of your devices.

You only get 5GB of iCloud storage free. If all of your photos total more than that (or you are also using iCloud for other things) you would need to subscribe to more storage.

I don't understand the statement "This confuses me as if my devices just sync then I am not using up any extra space as the items in my Photos app at present are the ones I have in my MBA, iPhone and iCloud."

Why would your photos already be in iCloud if you haven't turned on iCloud Photos?

Jul 1, 2020 4:38 AM in response to FoxFifth

I have compared all my 4 'devices', namely, Photos/MBA, iPhone, iPad & iCloud after taking a photograph with my iPhone. The same photo automatically appeared on all 4. Using another new photo taken using my iPhone (which as above appeared automatically on all 4 devices), I then deleted the same photo on my iPhone and the ONLY device it did not delete on was my MBA/Photos. I used the same method but this time deleted a photo on my iPad and the ONLY device it did not delete on was again my MBA/Photos.

Also after comparing all 4 devices, whilst all 4 have the same number of videos, my Photos/MBA has 3 less photos. Also, Photos has always had a few photos that appear out of order. I suspect that I have deleted photos in Photos/MBA and not the iPhone, and vice versa. I have about 1600 photos and 200 videos on all 4, including iCloud, so I have probably used methods to download photos over the years that may or may not have included syncing. I recall using iTunes but never liked using it. Now I go in a circle as I don't want to use this method anymore. Getting back to the screen shot I submitted, I may have answered your last question, as in why my photos are already in iCloud. iCloud & Photos are ticked in Sys Prefs. But in Preferences in Photos on my MBA, the iCloud Photos box is NOT ticked. And then this leads me to my screen shot which confused me as whilst I would say nearly all my photos/videos are in the cloud already (although sync does not seem to be in use), if I then tick the iCloud Photos box, why I am 'told' that I may not have enough space? I'm afraid of doubling up somehow or deleting by ticking the automatic upload & store box. Hope you can advise. Thanking you.

Jul 1, 2020 7:19 AM in response to FoxFifth

Ignore my last missive! I have now ticked all the boxes and yes you are right, far too many photos and vids are being synced. Oh well, there is another days work to delete duplicates. Thank you for all your advice including the apple doc I said I didn't want; it is easy to read. One more thing, why do I need the My Photo Stream if my devices all sync?

How do I automatically sync photos between MBA, iphone & iPad (& iCloud)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.